Jan 8, 2010

Wiring to blame for fire on Oshawa bus New Year's Eve

A Durham Region Transit bus came to an abrupt stop on New Year's Eve.

A fire broke out in the engine compartment of the bus, just before 8 p.m. on Dec. 31, in the Eulalie Avenue and Ritson Road area of Oshawa.

"We believe it was electrical in origin. Wire shorted out," said Peter Chatoff, the deputy general manager, maintenance and equipment.

There were passengers on board, but no one was injured, Mr. Chatoff stated. "The smoke didn't enter the passenger compartment."

A damage estimate hasn't been determined yet, he added, as DRT is waiting for an appraisal.

"We believe it's repairable," he stated.

"We're contacting our peers in the industry to see if they've had anything of this nature," Mr. Chatoff said.

The bus, manufactured by New Flyer, was ordered in 2006 and delivered in 2007.

DRT has 30 of the buses and "we went through the group," he said, adding insulation to wiring was added to prevent a similar incident happening again.

New Flyer representatives are expected to come and inspect the bus, he said.

Similar New Flyer buses were kept off the road until they could be inspected and preventative modifications could be made, Mr. Chatoff said.

The New Flyer bus is "probably one of the most common models in transit. It's a bread and butter bus."

PS: DRT also had a fire at the Ajax garage yesterday. Apparently the coffee truck caught on fire while it was in the garage. They aren't having much luck lately.

newsdurhamregion.com | Wiring to blame for fire on Oshawa bus New Year's Eve.

No comments: