Nov 9, 2007

The Empire Strikes Back

It looks like my blog comments about Laidlaw Transit Rescues War Veterans has caught the eye of the DRT management.


General Manager Ted Galinis explained prior to regionalizing transit services some local municipalities provided charter buses to veterans. That is no longer the practice.



"In the old days of Ajax /Pickering transit we had a budget for that," Mr. Galinis said. "Since (DRT's) creation the free services that were budgeted for in the local municipalities have to be budgeted for locally."



This is to avoid disparities in service, with one municipality receiving an increased level of service that the rest of the region pays for through their taxes, he said.



"If you gave one you would probably get a lot of requests," Mr. Galinis said. "Part of our policy is we don't give charters. The DRT way is to make sure it is uniform across the Region."


Read the full report at newsdurhamregion.com Free transit for veterans.


The follow is something that I posted Friday, October 20, 2006 on my blog. It is not my quote but this seems like the appropriate time to repost.


I don't know about where you live, but here the political ads for the next election are showing up in full force. Here are my thoughts on modern politics:



  • Politics should be about right or wrong, not right or left.

  • Choices in leadership are so poor I more often seem to be voting against someone rather than voting for someone. That sucks.

  • There are too many Liberals and Conservatives in office...and not enough Canadians.

  • We jail the stupid criminals, and re-elect the smart criminals.

  • I don't believe anything a politician says...until he or she denies it.

Yeah, you get the picture, I don't like politics, I don't like politicians, and I don't like what the political process has devolved into.


I agree with Plato, "Mankind will never see an end of trouble until lovers of wisdom come to hold political power, or the holders of power become lovers of wisdom."


Read my full post from Friday, October 20, 2006 posting.


Canadian Military Personnel Killed

  • First World War: 66,655
  • Second World War: 44,893
  • Korean conflict: 516
  • Peacekeeping: 121
  • Afghanistan: 71


    This time of year is our chance to hold up our end of the bargain by remembering and hourouring their sacrifice.

  • No comments: